"Our best chance for happiness is education."
Mark VanDorn

"Information cannot replace education."
Imparato and Itarari

sábado, 23 de outubro de 2010

“English in my life and in your life” – “Ingles em minha vida e na sua vida”


I want to tell you about how I decided to learn English and about how I’m still learning more and more each and every day.  I have studied English since Kindergarten way back in elementary school.  It was just another subject at the time and I studied at least twice a week.  My family couldn’t afford a private school or tutor so that I could study more.  But that was ok because I didn’t really like English at that time anyways.


After high school, around age 17, I decided to take an English class because I started enjoying the language more.  I studied at a few different schools until I found one with a methodology I could relate to.  Even though it made sense of the material I was learning, it was still very hard!
When I finished college I got frustrated because I didn’t find a job right away.  So I decided to study English abroad because it was always my dream.  I found out through a childhood friend about the Au Pair Exchange Program.

Finally I got a chance to live in the state of Georgia, in the United States for 21 wonderful months.  The first 3 months were really tough because my English was very limited at the time.  I could understand everything people were saying to me, but I couldn’t always respond back because I’d get stuck on a lot of different words. 
When we learn English in Brazil, the difficult thing is actually “speaking” English, because we have very few chances to practice it.  That’s why I had a hard time at first, because I didn’t even try “the few things” we have, silly me!
What are “the few things”? Movies… do you like English-speaking movies? Do you watch it with dubbing? If your answer is YES you’re not going to learn much English like that.  You HAVE to watch with the captions on for your language, but pay attention to the spoken English.  It’s one of the greatest ways to learn English, even if your favorite artist is performing.
I’m done for now.  I don’t want to make my posts too long so I’ll continue “the few things” in the next post.

But please feel free to send me any and all comments sharing with us how you learned English!!
See you later, Alligator!

(I'm having troubles with the technicals configuration, I'll fix it next time)





Quero dizer a vocês sobre como eu decidi aprender Inglês e sobre como eu
ainda estou aprendendo mais e mais a cada dia. Estudei Inglês desde pre-escola.  Era apenas outro assunto no momento e eu estudei pelo menos duas vezes por semana. Minha família não podia pagar uma escola privada ou professor particular para que eu pudesse estudar mais. Mas isso foi ok, porque eu não gostava muito de Inglês naquela epoca de qualquer maneira.

Depois do ensino médio, aos 17 anos, eu decidi entrar numa escola de Inglês, porque eu comecei a gostar mais da língua. Eu estudei em algumas escolas diferentes até encontrar uma com a metodologia da qual eu me relacionava. Mas ainda era muito dificil.


Quando terminei a faculdade eu fiquei frustrada porque eu não arrumei um
emprego logo. Então eu decidi estudar Inglês no exterior, porque sempre foi meu sonho. Descobri através de uma amiga de infância sobre o Programa de Intercâmbio Au Pair.


Finalmente eu tive a oportunidade de viver no estado da Geórgia, nos Estados Unidos por 21 maravilhosos meses . Os primeiros três meses foram muito difíceis, porque o meu Inglês era muito limitado no tempo. Eu podia entender tudo que as pessoas estavam dizendo para mim, mas eu não poderia responder sempre de volta, porque eu ia ficava presa em um monte de palavras diferentes.


Quando aprendemos Inglês, no Brasil, a coisa mais difícil de fixar e o "falar" Inglês, porque temos muitas poucas chances de praticá-lo. É por isso que eu tive dificuldade no começo, porque eu nem sequer tentei "as poucas coisas" que temos, boba eu!

O que são "as poucas coisas"? Filmes ... você gosta de filmes em ingles? Você o vê com dublagem? Se sua resposta foi SIM, você não vai aprender muito Inglês assim. Você TEM que assistir com as legendas com o seu idioma, mas preste atenção para o Inglês falado. É uma das melhores maneiras de aprender Inglês, mesmo se o seu artista favorito está realizando.


Satisfeita, eu não quero fazer os meus posts muito longos por isso vou continuar "as poucas coisas", no próximo post.


Mas por favor, sinta-se livre para me enviar todas e quaisquer comentários e compartilhar conosco como você aprendeu Inglês!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário